Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Review of Kids Math Fun App

I think flashcards are what you might call a “necessary evil” for children while learning math. I’m speaking from personal experience when I say that flipping through card after card is not fun. When I was younger I actually hid my flash cards, one by one, under my mattress. My strategy was I knew that hiding them all at once would be noticeable so I simply thinned out my stack one day at a time. (I’m sure glad my daughters are not old enough to read my blogs!)


PhotobucketOkay, now that you know my dislike for math let’s move on. Through my personal experience I am convinced that learning math is critical to eventual success in any endeavor. It is also my opinion that one of the best ways for a child to learn foundational math (basic addition, substraction, multiplication and division) is through repetitive practice and memorization.  Kids Math Fun has found a great alternative to flash cards! Their development of a fun application for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad helps children learn and practice math with each application specifically developed for an individual grade level.


We reviewed the apps for Kindergarten and 2nd grade.  One of the features that I liked was “Double Dare” which helps children learn the inverse relationship between addition and subtraction. (Example: Instead of 5+3= ? the app shows 5+?=8) I also liked the “Minute Math” activities feature where my daughter can test her math skills in a set amount of time which can be adjusted from 30 seconds to 10 minutes.

I would highly recommend purchasing this app as a new and exciting alternative approach to your child's elementary math studies. 


These math applications are available here or in the apps section of iTunes.

I did not receive any compensation for my review of Kids Math Fun apps although I was given two grade level applications to facilitate this review.  Any and all opinions here are my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

leave your fabulously discerning thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails