Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Book Review: Make Every Second Count (in the New Year!)

Is it even remotely possible that it could be almost 2011? Time has flown, and now it’s time to look back and decide. Did I make the most of 2010?

It’s also time for New Year’s resolutions! Over the years I have made many, and broken them by February. Hmm… Willpower? Motivation? Or is it more simple than that? Planning? Time management?

Robert Bly’s newly revised book entitled Make Every Second Count is an easy read, straight to the point, and quite frankly, very empowering.

We all have 24 hours in a day. What do we do with them? Bly suggests that if you were to log your days, or even videotape yourself, you would be amazed at how much time you waste doing small unnecessary things. He lays out very clearly what you can do to improve your productivity, manage your time better, keep on task, and most importantly: value yourself, and your time!
        
Simple things, such as making a list, having and keeping a realistic schedule, prioritizing, having goals written down and clearly planned out, reducing clutter, organizing, delegating, and identifying time wasters, such as television, reading gossip, or worrying. (Do I waste time doing that? Nah…) 
In this newer edition, he also reviews technology as it has come about and how you can make the most of the internet, Facebook and other social networking sites, smartphones, office equipment, etc. without having information overload in our high- paced world. He lists key websites for saving time and money while you travel, managing your resources, and reviews many software programs that he has found useful.  While Bly is an impressive work-aholic and businessman, he stresses not being one if it doesn’t make you happy, and not getting burnt out. He reviews what you can do to relax, be focused, and stay physically, mentally, and emotionally healthy.
        
Does Bly know what he’s talking about? Absolutely. He’s one of the most productive, highly paid executives in the country. And even though I’m not a highly paid executive in a suit with my own personal office and affixed shower, every principle he lays out I can apply to my job as CEO and President of my home and family.

Now, if you will excuse me, I’m going to go rearrange my kitchen, clean out my closet, spend quality time with my kids, write more reviews, blog, make dinner, fold the laundry, and take a shower...with the door locked.

To preview and purchase Robery Bly’s newly revised book Make Every Second Count go HERE.
            
* I was not paid to read this book, but was given a copy to write this review. I would never review something I didn’t think was useful or valuable to myself or to you, so don’t worry (it's a waste of time!).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

leave your fabulously discerning thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails