Saturday, September 25, 2010

Review of the Haunted Lagoon: Be There To Be Scared!


Last night, the Hub, the First Born and I went to the Haunted Lagoon's Preview Night at the Polynesian Cultural Center.  This was the first time I've ever been to the Haunted Lagoon even though its seriously just down the street from our house and this is the third year PCC has hosted it.  I'm not big on scary.  Horror movies feel like a waste of time: why get all stressed out being afraid? Suspense movies are only a slight improvement on the horror genre: stress for me but without all the blood.  I can do suspense as long as I know in advance like I did with the Haunted Lagoon.



Oh it was scary, all right! The First Born tells me that the special effects are better than ever this year and I noticed the mix of live and dead action. (Pun!)  I screamed.  A lot.  I wanted my mommy but all I had next to me was a skinny teenager.  The Lady is indeed frightening as are the swampy creatures around the canoe.  The atmosphere of the Haunted Lagoon is mucho creepy, complete with shrouded mist, terrifying props, and a bone-chilling soundtrack.  I'm sure everyone around me enjoyed my screaming.  And that's what's important at Halloween--sharing the spirit of terror and hysteria.

For those with children, there is a keiki version of the Haunted Lagoon (info below) and I should point out to scaredy cats like me that although the Haunted Lagoon is scary it is in no ways threatening.  Happy Halloween, everyone! Information about the Haunted Lagoon follows:

POLYNESIAN CULTURAL CENTER’S ‘HAUNTED LAGOON’ RETURNS FROM THE DEAD THIS OCTOBER. The Lā’ie Lady is back, and this time SHE MAY NOT LET YOU LEAVE!

What: “Haunted Lagoon” canoe ride at the  Polynesian Cultural Center

When: Oct. 1 – 23, 2010
Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays
Oct. 25 – 30, 2010
Monday – Saturday
*Closed on Halloween
Box Office open from 4 p.m. – 8 p.m., time subject to ticket availability
Canoes run from 6:30 p.m. (“Keiki canoe rides” run from 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.)

Where: Polynesian Cultural Center, 55-370 Kamehameha Hwy., Lā‘ie, Hawai‘i

Why: Brave souls are invited to get into the Halloween spirit early this year on Hawaii’s most popular haunted canoe ride, featuring a ghostly cast of over 100. Daring passengers may even catch sight of the otherworldly Lā‘ie Lady, who’s looking for some company this year. The center offers a keiki version of the ride for the entire family and a “spookier” version for braver souls. Admission: Booking Haunted Lagoon tickets in advance is strongly recommended as limited space is available and seats often sell out. Tickets for kamaaina are $19.50 per adult and $14.50 for keiki. General tickets are $25.00 per adult and $20.00 for children.
Kamaaina Annual Pass holders may ride free on weekdays and for a discounted rate on Fridays and Saturdays. Guests can also purchase tickets to a fast pass line for a shorter wait. Kamaaina Gold Pass Members receive one free admission and fast pass line access per night. Bring in a Pepsi product on Wednesdays and receive $5 off admission. $3 off coupons are also available at participating 76 gas stations, Domino’s Pizza and 7-Eleven locations. During the Fall Break Special, from Oct. 1 to 9, kamaaina students (elementary through high school) can show their school I.D. to receive $5.00 off admission. Offers and specials cannot be combined.

Information: For more information, to check ticket availability or to make reservations, visit www.HauntedLagoon.com or call the Polynesian Cultural Center ticket office toll-free at (800) 367-7060. In Hawai‘i, call (808) 293-3333.

Disclosure: I did not receive any form of compensation from the Polynesian Cultural Center for this review.  Any and all opinions are my own.  All images and video courtesy of the Polynesian Cultural Center.
Related Posts with Thumbnails